Skip to main content

Property Tax/Rent Rebate

This is a program through the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue that allow older Pennsylvanians, surviving spouses over fifty and permanently disabled citizens to lead fuller lives by restoring a portion of their limited income.  This program has been dramatically expanded to give more older and disabled Pennsylvanians rebates while increasing the amounts of the rebate.  The income limit was increased for homeowners and the maximum rebate for qualified homeowners and renters was raised to $650 a year.

Who can file for a Property Tax/Rent Rebate Claim?

The Property Tax/Tent Rebate is based on the property taxes paid or included in the rent you paid during the previous calendar year.


  • Age:  You or your spouse must have been at least 65 years old as of December 31 of the claim year or You were a widow or widower during all or part of the claim year and must have been 50 years or older as of December 31 or You were permanently disabled during all or part of the claim year, 18 years or older during the claim year, and were unable to work because of a medically determined physical or mental disability.
  • Own or Rent: You must have owned and occupied a home or rented and occupied a home, apartment, nursing home, boarding home, or similar residence in Pennsylvania during the period for which you are claiming the rebate.  Owners must have paid taxes prior to filing.  Renters must make certain their landlords were required to pay property taxes or made payments in lieu of property taxes on the rental property.

Note: If you applied for Social Security Disability and were denied benefits, you are not eligible for a rebate as a disabled claimant.

When is the deadline to apply?

You must file your claim form by June 30.  The PA-1000 booklet to claim your rebate is available after February 15 through the form ordering services listed on the brochure.  Once you qualify for your first rebate, the Department will automatically send you a claim form the next year.  Rebate checks are mailed beginning July 1 of each year.  Once the deadline for filing has passed, you cannot file for a Property Tax/Rent Rebate for that year.

Can I file a claim form for someone who has recently died?

You may file a claim for an eligible claimant who died after December 31 of the claim year.  If the claimant died within the claim year, you may not file a claim.  The law governing the Property Tax/Rent Rebate Program requires that a claimant must have lived for the entire claim year in order to receive a rebate.  If you are filing a claim for an eligible decedent, do not use the preprinted label.  Depending on your relationship with the decedent, in addition to the other required proof documents, you must include the decedent's death certificate, a short certificate or the Decree of Distribution.

What documents can I use as proof of age?

The Department will accept copies of a birth certificate; Blue Cross 65 Special Card; church baptismal record; hospital birth record; driver's license or PA Identification Card; naturalization papers if your age is shown; military discharge paper if your age is shown; Medicare care; PACE/PACENET care; or passport.  Do not submit original documents.

What documents can I use as proof of income?

The Department will accept as proof of income 1099-INT, 1099-R, etc.  If the address you provided the Social Security Administration was a PA address, you do not need to submit proof of your Social Security retirement and Supplemental Security benefits.  The Department will also accept copies of your federal income tax return or your PA tax return for the claim year.

Homeowners:  What do I need to include with my form to claim a property tax rebate?

You need to show proof that the taxes were paid for the year being claimed.  If you cannot provide a receipted copy of your property tax bill, the Department will accept a copy of the tax bill, along with a copy of both sides of the cancelled check you used to pay your taxes.  If you name doesn't appear on the tax bills, proof of ownership must be submitted.  For example, a copy of the deed or a copy of the trust, will, decree of distribution if the property was inherited.  If the address is not on the receipted bill or mortgage statement, you must also submit a letter from your tax collector or mortgage company verifying your home address.

Renters:  What do I need to include with my form to claim a rent rebate?

If you are claiming a rent rebate, you must include proof of the rent you paid.  You will need a rent certificate (PA-1000 RC form ) for each place in which you resided during the claim year signed by the landlord or the landlord's authorized agent or If a landlord's signature can not be obtained, you (the claimant) must complete and submit a notarized Rental Occupancy Affidavit.  If you are not able to provide a rent certificate or notarized statement, you may submit rent receipts.  The landlord or his/her authorized agent must sign each rent receipt showing your name and rented address, the amount of the rent you paid, and the time period for which the rent was paid.  You must submit receipts for all of the months you are claiming.  Important: Do no submit rent receipts if you are submitting rent certificates or notarized statements.

For more information:

  • Contact the Property Tax/Rent Rebate Claim Information at 1-888-222-9190 or go to the web site PA Department of Revenue.      
  • The 24-hour FACT and Information line 1-888-728-2937 (touch-tone service is required) automated service allows you to check on the progress of your Personal Income Tax payment, return, and refund, and your Property Tax/Rent Rebate claim; Order a form, which can be either faxed or mailed to you; and Obtain answers to the most commonly asked questions for personal and business taxes.  Press 1 for touch-tone phone service; then at the next selection... Press 2 to check on the status of your account; at the next selection... Press 3 to select Property Tax/Rent Rebate claim. Press 1 to access your account information; then when asked... Enter your Social Security Number; then when asked... Enter the amount of the rebate you requested.  (Whole dollar amounts only.  Do not include cents.)
  • If you not have touch-tone service, call 1-888-222-9190 between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.
  • Form Ordering Service: 1-800-362-2050
  • Taxpayers with special hearing and/or speaking needs (TTI only) call  1-800-447-3020.
  • If you qualify for the Property Tax/Rent Rebate program, you may also be eligible for PACE or PACENET.  Call toll free 1-800-225-7223.  PACE and PACENET are prescription drug programs funded by the Pennsylvania Letter.
  • For information on other services offered by the Department of Aging, call your local Area Agency on Aging (Information & Referral Unit 610-782-3200).