Election Board of Lehigh County
Important Dates to Candidates and Circulators of Nomination Petitions
- First day to circulate and file petitions - February 19, 2013
- Last day to circulate and file petitions - March 12, 2013
- Last day to file objections to petition - March 19, 2013
- Casting of lots for ballot position - March 20, 2013
- Last day for candidates who filed petitions to withdraw - March 27, 2013
- Last day to register to vote before the Primary - April 22, 2013
- Municipal Primary - May 21, 2013
- Municipal Election - November 5, 2013
1. DO NOT USE DITTO MARKS anywhere on the petition.
2. All blank spaces which appear at the top of the front page of the nomination petition must be completed BEFORE signatures are obtained.
3. Type or Print the name of the candidate on the face of the petition exactly as the candidate wants it to appear on the ballot. A nickname is allowed only if a derivative of the legal name. If you choose to use a nickname, that name must be approved by the Lehigh County Board of Elections.
4. Each signer may sign petitions for as many candidates for each office as they are permitted to vote, and no more.
5. Each signer of a petition must be a registered and enrolled elector of the party and of the electoral district referred to in the petition.
6. Each signer must personally insert the information concerning residence, occupation and date of signing, list their address exactly as it appears on their registration affidavit. The date of signing may be listed in numbers or words; e.g. January 11, 2002 or as 1/11/2002. Given name of a married woman must be used by the signer; e.g. Mary Jones, not Mrs. John Jones.
7. Both affidavits must be completed and notarized before filing.
8. Petitions must be filed in the Voter Registration Office located in the lower level of the Lehigh County Government Center, 17 S. 7th St., Allentown, before 4:00 P.M. on March 12, 2013. It is to your advantage to file before this date so that petitions can be examined and corrections made, if necessary.
Drawing of lots for position to be placed on the May 21, 2012, Municipal Primary ballot for all candidates is to be held in the
public hearing room of The Lehigh County Government Center, 17 S 7th St, Allentown PA 18101 at 10:00 am
EXPENSE ACCOUNT REPORTING LAW
Candidates at the local level who do not operate with the assistance of a committee and who do not intend to receive or expend more than $250 in a reporting period may complete the affidavit on the petition which will alleviate the necessity of filing pre and post election reports. Candidates exceeding $250 in receipts or expenditures in a reporting period or who operate with the assistance of a committee will be required to file pre and post election reports.
Postmarks will be acceptable as proof of timely filing of campaign expense information where information is postmarked no later than the day prior to the filing deadline. (See filing deadlines on calendar)
PLEASE NOTE - Filing fees for petitions filed with the Election Board of Lehigh County must be paid by cash, certified check, or money order, payable to the County of Lehigh, in the office of The Fiscal Department, Room 119 on the first floor of the Lehigh County Government Center.