High Fidelity Wraparound is a process led by a facilitator where multiple systems come together with the child, youth, and family to create a highly individualized plan to address complex emotional needs. The goals of High Fidelity Wraparound are to meet the needs prioritized by youth and family, improve their ability and confidence to manage their own services and supports, develop or strengthen the natural supports, and integrate the work of all children serving systems and natural supports into one streamlined plan. High Fidelity Wraparound is an evidence-based practice driven by the National Wraparound Initiative (NWI).
Please note that the High Fidelity Wraparound Process should not be confused with BHRS (Behavioral Health Rehabilitative Services) also referred to as Provider 50 services. BHRS is a treatment service prescribed by a psychiatrist or psychologist based on medical necessity and the individual's needs. Click here for additional information.
Lehigh County has identified a target population that will address the coordination needs of older adolescents as they make the transition to adulthood, focusing on ages 14-21 years old. The youth must be a resident of Lehigh County, between the ages of 14 & 21 years old, have a mental health diagnosis of serious emotional disturbance, and have experienced imminent, current, or previous placement in a restrictive, intensive of intrusive level of mental health care. Referral can be made directly to Pinebrook Family Services at (610) 432-3919.
At the heart of the team-based, collaborative HFW model is a youth guided, family driven planning process designed to empower youth with complex mental health needs and their families. High Fidelity Wraparound is a planning and implementation process that results in a unique set of community services and natural supports that are individualized to meet the child and family's needs and achieve positive outcomes. This is a planning process that consists of four phases.
1. Engagement and Team Preparation: Establish the groundwork for trust and shared vision and set tone for teamwork to be consistent with the guiding principles.
2. Initial Plan Development: Develop team cohesion and shared responsibility toward achievement of overarching goals of the individualized plan.
3. Implementation: Implement the Plan of Care, continually review progress and success, and incorporate changes as needed. The process is repeated until goals are achieved and HFW is no longer needed.
4. Transition: Purposeful transition from HFW to a mix of formal and natural supports in the community.
10 Guiding Principles of High Fidelity Wraparound:
1. Family Voice and Choice
2. Team Based
3. Natural Supports
5. Community Based
6. Culturally Competent
8. Strengths Based
10. Outcome Based
Lehigh County continues to work closely with The Youth and Family Training Institute (YFTI) in the oversight of High Fidelity Wraparound. The Youth and Family Institute (YFTI) is an organization that provides training, coaching and credentialing to those working in High Fidelity Wraparound to ensure that there is consistency, accountability and fidelity to the process.
Lehigh County elected to add the oversight of implementing High Fidelity Wraparound and monitoring the fidelity of the process into the goals of our Integrated Family Service Plan. This has given us the opportunity to work with our IFSP Executive and Advisory Committees to address planning needs for High Fidelity Wraparound.
Additional Resources for High Fidelity Wraparound
Wrapinfo.org--This site serves as a gateway to several key resources regarding the wraparound model for youth and families.
- Resources Guide to Wraparound--A collection of articles, tools and resources that represent the expertise, experience and shared work of the members of the National Wraparound Initiative.
- Wraparound Evaluation and Research Team --This website contains descriptions of the Wraparound Fidelity Index (WFI) and the wraparound process, information on how to collaborate with their team and use the WFI, relevant literature and presentations, and links to related projects and institutions.
- National Wraparound Initiative--Learn about the National Wraparound Initiative, access a resource guide and view news items.