Here are some criteria that may assist you in assessing the quality of each childcare program you visit.
• Are staff trained and experienced in working with children?
• Is the staff responsible and enthusiastic as they interact with children?
• Does the ratio of adults to children comply with state requirements?
• Are children given individual attention and treated with respect?
• Does staff have a sense of humor?
• Is the facility accredited?
• Do all staff have child abuse clearances and criminal clearances?
• Are there smoke detectors and fire extinguishers?
• Where young children are cared for, are gates placed in stairways?
• Is the facility clean and orderly?
• Is the outdoor play area safe?
• Are emergency drills held regularly?
• What does the facility look like from our child's height?
• Are emergency phone numbers posted?
HEALTH and SANITATION
• Are rooms clean, bright and well vented?
• Is there a policy regarding care for sick children?
• Do children spend part of the day outside?
• Do children receive nutritious meals and snacks?
• Are hand-washing procedures followed by staff and children?
• Do children have a rest time each day? Does each child have his/her own
crib, cot or mat?
• Do children appear to be interested?
• Is the program designed to enhance growth and development?
• Do children have some free time each day?
• Does the staff post a schedule of activities?
• Are special events and field trips held?
• Are there enough books, paints, blocks, musical toys, games, puzzles,
• Is there enough space for all activities?
• Do you feel comfortable leaving your child a the program?
• Is there a parent hand book which outlines the program's policies, including
those related to injury, sickness, etc.?
• Do the children appear happy? Is there a lot of laughing, hugging and
• Are parents encouraged to visit any time?
• Does the staff greet and talk with each parent/child as they arrive?
• Are references provided?
• Do the hours of service meet your needs?
• What is the cost?
• Is the location convenient for you?
• Does the provider participate in a subsidy program?
Lehigh County Office of Children and Youth Services - 610.782.3064